This is my version of schnitzel. I love the flavour of the nuts and herbs mixed with the breadcrumbs, making it tastier than a traditional schnitzel. This meal is quick and easy to make, perfect for a quick dinner! Cook up some veggies on the side, or whip up a simple salad to accompany this dish.
- 4 medium or 5 smaller chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 1 tsp of fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Gently pound the chicken breasts at their thickest with a mallet to even out the thickness of the breasts
- Combine the nuts, rosemary, garlic, cheese, lemon zest and breadcrumbs in a food processor- blitz for short period of time to ensure the mixture stays somewhat chunky (can be blitzed longer if you prefer a smoother crumb)
- Lightly beat eggs in a bowl. Coat each chicken breast in egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing so the mixture sticks evenly over the meat. Refrigerate the crumbed breasts for about 1 hour (if you have time), otherwise pop them in the fridge for 5 minutes or so whilst heating up the pan.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook chicken until brown on both sides. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information (analysed via Foodworks)
|Per serve||Per 100g|
|Energy (kJ/cal)||2480 kJ/ 590 cal||923 kJ / 219 cal|
|Protein (g)||68.8 g||25.6 g|
|Total Fat (g)||16 g||6 g|
|Saturated Fat (g)||5 g||1.9 g|
|Carbohydrates (g)||40 g||15.2 g|
|Sugars (g)||3.1 g||1.2 g|
|Dietary fibre (g)||3.3 g||1.2 g|
|Sodium||648 mg||241 mg|
Overall, this meal is very high in protein. The pistachio crumb provides “good” fats and is not considered to be too salty, making it healthy, but still delicious!