Have you ever eaten a cookie or muffin that says it ‘contains superfoods’, it uses different flours to the norm, it’s supposed to be super healthy and maybe even has magical powers… but let’s be real, at the end of the day this magical healthy cookie just tastes chalky and yuck!! Don’t be fooled, this is not one of them! These cookies are a winner, everyone loves them and they give a chocolate chip cookie a run for its money.
Firstly, they taste like real cookies!! Secondly, their nutritional profile is what I would consider to be better than most homemade chocolate chip cookies, and definitely better than the store bought stuff. Plus the kilojoules from these cookies are coming from some valuable ingredients- dried fruit and oats! Get cooking, because these babies are quick and easy to make, they store well in an air-tight container in the pantry and are a perfect addition to a cup of tea or coffee!
Yield: ~24 cookies
Prep time: ~20 minutes
Bake time: ~12 minutes
- 125g of butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of sultanas, currants or craisins (whatever you prefer)
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- ¾ cup wholemeal flour
- 1 cup of bran flakes/oat bran
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan forced)
- Cream butter and sugar, beat in egg
- Add sultanas/currants/craisins and flours into mixture and mix into a stiff biscuit mixture.
- Roll mixture into small balls and then roll each ball in oat bran/bran flakes to coat.
- Place on tray and slightly flatten, bake on greased tray in oven at 160 degrees fan forced for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on wire tray
Nutrition Information: The table below is interesting if you want to compare the nutritional profile of these cookies with other snack foods. To put this simply, these cookies are something you can have for a snack, but don’t eat them at every snack (although I must warn you, you will probably want to). Remember: they are still cookies at the end of the day, not magical ‘superfoods’ (…if only cookies were)!!
|Nutrient||Per serve/cookie (~28g)||Per 100g|
|Energy (kJ/cal)||483 kJ/ 115 cal||1673 kJ/ 398 cal|
|Protein||1.8 g||6.4 g|
|Total Fat||4.9 g||16.8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.9 g||10 g|
|Carbohydrate||15.7 g||54.4 g|
|Sugars||8.5 g||29.3 g|
|Dietary Fibre||1.6 g||5.6 g|
|Sodium (mg)||26 mg||90 mg|